Friday, June 29, 2007

Knitting with Sloths (3-toed)



This morning I decided to sit in the park and knit for the hour I need to wait till the museum opens. I am growing tired of shopping and it was a beautiful day. I found a very shady area under some trees, looking out at the sloths.



When Eden was little we used to come to the Tar Pits all the time. For those of you who don't know, the Tar Pits are right next to the museum. He especially loved climbing on the sloths. There are actual tar pits where it is almost required that your child steps in and gets tar on his new sneekers. And it doesn't come off! I don't think they had invented Goo-Gone and Mr. Clean Magic Erasures back in those days.

There is also a separate museum that has skulls of a gazillion mountain lions that were dug out of the pits and a lot of other skeletons (no dinosaurs) but Eden called it the dinosaur museum.




I had the foresight to put a beach chair in the back of the car at the beginning of the week. It was so pleasant to sit in the shade and listen to the birds and knit, knit, knit.




I am working on a new sock design, too, from Blue Moon Fiber Arts' Seduction. It is the same lace pattern as the green part of the sweater.

The new Knitter's Magazine has absolutely nothing to do with the sock. But as an aside - I am totally in love with the new designs from Rick Mondragon. If I weren't so obsessed with getting my own designs out of my head and into reality, I'd make up a few from this issue.

At about 12:30 I packed up my stuff and went up to the museum to use the facilities. Got a little salad and happily knit till Eden was ready to go home.

Where I read my 161 e-mails and went back to knitting.




A mitered square from the Kauni. New idea - inspiration struck while at the museum and I needed to see if the Kauni would be good. I am working it on larger needles with the intention of felting it when finished. I've never been a big fan of felting but it will be a handbag and this yarn is just begging to be felted, as it is so scratchy I can never imagine wearing it. And since I have a big lot of it, I need to do something...