Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Hot Hands!



I have been making "Hot Hands". A new pattern for my collection, and intended to be kitted with Hacho by Mirasol and to retail for about $12 for the kit, I decided to make up each size to make sure you could still get an entire pair of Size Large from one skein. You can, but there's only a tiny bit to spare. Like a few yards. This means that if you buy this kit and are making size Large
a) You might run out of yarn if the skein is a little short or you knit at a slightly different gauge than I do.
b) You will feel very tense towards the end of the project, worrying about whether there will be enough yarn.


It's a yarn dilemma! I don't want to add another skein because
a) I like the reasonable price
b) Small and Medium are okay with one skein
c) Large might be okay, too.
d) Why charge for an unused almost entire skein?

On the Designbiz list, I received a suggestion that I wind off a little extra from another skein and just add a little extra to the price.

I don't like the labor involved in winding off yarn. Especially since most people won't even need it. So the price goes up unnecessarily.

I saw this in Knitty for the pattern 'Fetching':
"Yarn note (from knitty.com): Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran is beautiful and soft and comes in gorgeous colors. The cool thing about these gloves is that you only need one skein to make a pair. However, you have to be willing to unravel your gauge swatch to do this, because one pair takes an entire skein with less than a yard of yarn left over. If you feel the need to keep your gauge swatches, you will need to buy two skeins"

That's fine if you are just buying the pattern. But it doesn't solve the kit dilemma.

So far I have made a couple pairs in every size. There is a discrepancy in how much yarn is left over. So far, there has been enough to finish every pair I've made, but maybe that's just me.

What to do, what to do?

I tried making up a pair in this gorgeous handpainted yarn from Urban Gypz that I bought from the Loopy Ewe. The colorway is called Rainy Day Blues and it is scrumptious. Gauge slightly different than Hacho, but lots left over!!! As well there should be. This gorgeous yarn costs $25, I think. I bought it with a special friend in mind and she will be getting these for Christmas.