Wednesday, November 01, 2006

New Website Has Gone Live

Last night, Jordana pushed some buttons and Voila! the old website became the new website.

Click here to see it.

I sent out a lot of e-mails to the people in my address books I thought might be interested. It took a long time to send them out, and later on, I noticed that
a) I neglected to put anything into the subject line.
b) There was a typo in the first line of the announcement.
c) I used a link that had been provided by x-cart, my shopping cart software company. I had not tested the link first. Idiot that I am, I just assumed that if the link said www.ellenewarren.com, it would take you to my homepage. Ha ha. It took you to an x-cart page. There you found a link to click on that took you into my e-boutique.

It felt like Opening Night on Broadway and the curtain went up to reveal the actors running around getting dressed. Yes, once they found their places, the show went on. Yes, the curtain will go up at the correct time on subsequent nights. And yes, possibly the audience thought that actors running around in their underwear was the way the show was supposed to open.

But I was deflated and crushed. I went into Eden's room, crying, and he rubbed my shoulders and told me no one really cared, anyway. Was that supposed to comfort me?

Maurice was very comforting. "That's just the way things go. It will be fine, you'll see," etc. There, there, there. He did make me feel better, though.

But I got quite a few responses to my e-mail, and everyone was supportive. No one seemed to think there was anything weird about entering my new website through an x-cart portal. One dear friend even pointed out that if the home page had shown up first, some people might not have even realized that I had an e-boutique.

Now there are a myriad of little malfunctions. I await the first sale (to anyone other than myself for testing purposes)

My next major project is to get Windows to work on my MacBook Pro. I bought this specifically because it has the Intel chip and you are supposed to be able to run Windows on it. Come to find out, you need something called Bootcamp to run Windows on the Mac. You can download Bootcamp from the Apple website, but it is a beta edition and Apple does not support it. Also, you must boot up in either Windows or Mac, not run them side by side, like I thought. Also you have to buy Windows. It didn't come with the computer like the Apple OS did.

Listening to Leo Laport, the Tech Guy, I found out there is a program called Parallels that enables Windows and Apple OS to run side by side. Cost: $80. Not too bad. He also said run Windows XP Pro. Bought Parallels. Bought XP Pro. Installed Parallels. Windows wouldn't install properly. Microsoft will not support Windows on a Mac. Apple will not support Windows on a Mac. Haven't had an entire afternoon to sit around on hold hoping to talk to Leo Laport. I just gave up because I was still working on getting the website up.

Now I need to get that Windows to work. There are things I need to do with x-cart that would be so much easier if I could use a Windows based browser.

This is probably more technical bitching and moaning than the average reader wants to know about. Trust me, it's more technical stuff than I want to know about!

But I will persist and I WILL PREVAIL!